• Language

Working Permit

The following information has been provided to assist parents, guardians and students with the process of obtaining a Working Permit.

Working Permits are issued to minors between 14 and 18 yrs of age under the Child Labor Act of 2012.  Once a person reaches the age of 18, a work permit is no longer required - even if that person is still a high school student.


To obtain a work permit:

• Minor must reside in Central York School District.

• The parent/guardian of minor must appear in person at Central York High School with photo ID.

• The parent/guardian must bring an official document with the student’s birth date, (i.e. birth certificate, passport, student driver’s permit/license, etc.)

• The parent/guardian must sign the application in the presence of the issuing officer. If the parent is unable to appear in person, the student may then obtain an “Attestation Document” from the Main Office. This form requires the parent/guardian to sign in the presence of a Notary Public.


As soon as the application is completed, a work permit can be issued. The student must sign the work permit in the presence of the issuing officer.

The transferable work permit is valid for any employer of the student, until the student is 18 or graduates. A work permit is not necessary for a job interview; however, one must be obtained prior to the start of employment.

As of January 21, 2013, the law no longer requires a health physical or an employer to sign the work permit document.

All other child labor laws regarding hours of employment still apply. You may obtain further information from the PA Department of Education

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.